The 2017/18 season is emerging on the horizon and, as pre-season gets underway from the Premier League to non-league, here at Rush Football we’ve decided to focus on things a little lower down the footballing pyramid as well as in the top flight.
So, with that in mind, we grabbed an interview with Braintree’s Xavier Vidal to talk preparation for the upcoming season, his new club and what’s it like in the 6th tier of English football.
1) You have recently signed for Braintree Town of the Vanarama National League South, what separated the club from the rest?
“I met Brad Quinton (manager) and liked his plans, passion and enthusiasm, after the meeting it was a no brainer really.”
2) Who is the best player you have ever played against, what made them so special?
“Hard question to answer! I can’t put my finger on one.”
3) What motivates you?
“My family and love for the game.”
4) Who do you look up to in the footballing world, and why?
In the football world in this day and age it would have to be Iniesta or Modrić, their vision and ability to control a game of football is amazing.”
5) What is your most memorable footballing moment from your career so far?
“I can’t pick one. It would either be scoring the winning goal to clinch promotion to the Ryman Premier League for Dulwich Hamlet or scoring four goals for Welling United in an FA Cup game match versus Grays Athletic.”
6) Any regrets in your career so far?
“I have many regrets after every game. There’s always one thing I wish I could have done better.”
7) What does the future hold for you as player?
“I hope the future is bright, I’m just going to work hard and see what awaits.”
8) What advice would you give to a young player looking to make it in the game?
“I would advise any young player to always listen and work hard, and when you think you’ve done enough, do more.”
9) Lastly, the most important question of them all, on a standard trip to Nando’s what do you order?
“Nando’s! I would normally go for a chicken wrap with garlic bread and spicy rice, can’t go wrong at all!”
There you have it! We’d like to thank Xavier for taking time out of his day to talk to us. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled, a very talented footballer who has the attitude and the potential to go all the way…
Enjoy this article? Why not check out ‘Three non-league footballers to keep an eye on this season‘?